By Luca Marzo on 2019-11-11 14:15 in Board of Directors

Open Source Matters, Inc.
Full Board of Directors and Officers Meeting

Date: October 31, 2019
Time: 17:00 UTC
Total time of meeting: 1 hour 00 minutes

Attendees:

Rowan Hoskyns Abrahall (President), Daniel Dubois (Vice President), Luca Marzo (Secretary), Brian Mitchell (Treasurer), Djamel Kherbi (Director), Hugh Douglas-Smith (Director), Jaz Parkyn (Director), Eric Lamy (Director).

Apologies:

Harald Leithner (Director), Jason Nickerson (Director)

Proxies:

Luca Marzo served as proxy for Harald Leithner.

Discussion outline

President

  • Rowan is working to get a new major sponsor. 

  • Rowan to have a meeting in Bordeaux, France with Daniel, Eric and Marco.

Treasurer

  • Brian asked confirmation on how to deal with invoices (accounting, lawyers, etc.).

  • Pizza, Bugs & Fun reimbursements have been submitted to Djamel and Harald for approval.

  • Brian issued the invoice for PBF Gold Sponsor.

Legal & Finance Department

  •  Compliance Team welcomed a new volunteer.

Marketing & Communications Department

  • Eric is preparing for the Sprint with Rowan, Daniel and Marco.

Events Department

  • David Aswani will serve as liaison for Events Department in the Volunteers Engagement Team.

  • Rowan implemented Open Street Maps on community.joomla.org for Events and JUGs.

  • Events Department meeting has been held last Tuesday. Report will be shared in a couple of days.

Operations Department

  • Hugh will get webmasters handbook sorted over the weekend and distributed as draft for final comments. Given some of the recent issues, Hugh suggested to use this document in conjunction with a log/database of what is installed on each site so that there can be an overview of what extensions are in use, what dependencies and how up to date it is.

Programs Department

  • Certification Team hopes to onboard 3 exam supervisors in Australia now that all 3 have sat and passed the exam. This will provide opportunities to host more exams in the country. Testing is continuing on the new platform.

  • Jaz’s vision to restructure the Volunteers Engagement Team has so far been a massive success. VET had a very thought provoking and productive team meeting a couple of days ago. It is absolutely fantastic to see enthusiasm and activity in a team that has been quiet recently, especially given the current situation. A massive thank you to those who have joined the team recently, and to the whole team for helping to re-ignite things. The team still needs a representative from the Operations and Legal/Finance departments to complete the team. Minutes of the meeting are available on the Volunteer Portal - https://volunteers.joomla.org/teams/volunteer-engagement-team/reports/1114-vet-meeting-28th-october-2019 

Vice President

  • Rowan suggested Daniel to connect with Noreen to work on the Education Program.

  • Daniel started to work on a presentation to promote Joomla in Africa, especially targeting women.

Secretary

  • Joomla is joining the Alpha of the Sponsored Organization project on GitHub. Luca will continue serving as liaison for this initiative. Different sponsorship packages will be available from 10 to 1000 USD a month.

  • Luca proposed to enforce the Contributor License Agreement for the alternative Backend Template, in order to assign joint ownership to OSM and rights to distribute, maintain, update, etc. the template over time.

  • OSM has already a Contributors License Agreement that could be used.

  • JoomlaCode is becoming an issue with several people asking for permanent data erasure and we are not able to ensure erasure. Months ago we discussed a plan to migrate data from it to GitHub, but as of now, nothing has been done.

  • Rowan shared with the lawyers the documents to proceed with the trademark renewals in the Philippines.

  • Trademark opposition in Turkey. Opposition has been partially granted and partially not. Our lawyers suggested to not proceed challenging the part that has not been granted.

  • The 12th edition of JoomlaDay Italy took place on October 19, in Milan. This year’s event has been designed to be smaller than the previous editions and rooms were full. A room has been dedicated to the Pizza, Bugs and Fun and we had contributors all day long. 

Motions taken during this meeting

#2019/094 - Move the meeting to 18.00 UTC to reflect timeshift in Europe.
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Jaz Parkyn
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

#2019/095 - Enforce the Joomla Contributor License Agreement for major contributions like a major feature or template developed by third-parties.
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Djamel Kherbi
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

#2019/096 - The Secretary proposes to adjourn the meeting.
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Hugh Douglas-Smith.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

Motions taken offline before this meeting

#2019/091 - Approve and publish the Board Meeting Minutes.
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Daniel Dubois.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

#2019/092 - Project to develop Joomla users targeting retired, unemployed, students and prisoners as described in this video: https://youtu.be/x9_X_UZhBjc .
Proposed by Daniel Dubois, seconded by Rowan Hoskyns Abrahall.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

#2019/093 - Project to develop Joomla users targeting African women.
Proposed by Daniel Dubois, seconded by Rowah Hoskyns Abrahall.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.