By Luca Marzo on 2020-04-03 09:21 in Board of Directors

Open Source Matters, Inc.
Full Board of Directors and Officers Meeting

Date: March 26, 2020
Time: 18:00 UTC
Total time of meeting: 1 hour 35 minutes

Attendees:

Rowan Hoskyns Abrahall (President), Luca Marzo (Secretary), Brian Mitchell (Treasurer), Djamel Kherbi (Director), Hugh Douglas-Smith (Director), Jaz Parkyn (Director), Eric Lamy (Director), Radek Suski (Director), Marco Dings (Director), Harald Leithner (Outgoing Director).

Apologies:

-

Proxies:

Jaz Parkyn served as proxy for Eric Lamy from 19.00 UTC.

Discussion outline

President

  • Rowan is working on finishing the Forum for the Future balances, checking due invoices and sponsorship.

  • Rowan is working on finishing the books.

Treasurer

  • Brian shared the bank balances as of today.

  • Kevinjohn Gallagher offered time to help the project. Rowan suggested devoting this time in the Advisory Board.

  • Brian held a session about “Volunteering for Joomla” at a JUG New Jersey virtual meeting.

  • Brian shared the feedback from some members of the JUG NJ virtual meeting about JUGs involvement in the global community life.

  • Brian had a meeting with BrandIT about Joomla Domains.

  • Bookkeeping services RFP is open, Brian and Rowan invited some parties to respond to the RFP.

Production Department

  • Harald thanked the Board members for the collaboration during his tenure as Director.

  • Identified Beta Blockers for J4 are expected to be ready by the end of this week. Note that we still need testing etc to come to Beta.

  • Niels Braczek has taken over as TL for Software Architecture & Strategy.

  • Tobias Zulauf has been added as releaselead for 3.10.x.

  • Whilst the wider Sprint regarding workflow was cancelled the “pre-sprint” sprint in Munich was a success and lots of progress was made there regarding workflow.

  • There is an initiative in the German Community regarding “website for kids”, an online - live course/workshop by Elisa. Holger cremers has taken on the organisation, they have procured sponsorship. This seems like a good initiative to possibly follow up “internationally”.

  • Marco and Luca to work on access and permissions grants as part of the transitions.

  • Following the work started at the Forum for the Future, there has been a Request for Comments (RfC) to define the ways to propose a Request for Comments, production wide. The proposal aims to define a way to enable everybody in the community to suggest processes, features or specifications, and to define, how the community / project decides on the proposal. A motion will be made to adopt the process as official when the draft will be ready.

Legal & Finance Department

  • Hugh shared a document with suggestions about the Code of Conduct and Conflict Resolution.

  • Hugh contacted Team Leaders of teams under the Legal & Finance Department to get the status of ongoing tasks.

  • Hugh received an offer of donation of royalties by a book author about Joomla. Hugh to follow up with the author to proceed.

Marketing & Communications Department

  • Eric prepared a document to be distributed to Marketing & Communications Department Team Leaders to collect feedback and progress achieved since the Forum for the Future.

  • Eric continued the work on a Brochure started by the Dutch Community.

Events Department

  • Monthly events dept meeting was held on March 25, the main discussion was around the rules about the virtual JUGS,  will be updated in the upcoming week to allow active and new jugs to do Virtual meetings.

  • A newsletter will be sent to all the jugs to encourage them to hold virtual meetings.

  • Rowan to create a new section on the jug directory especially dedicated to the virtual JUGs.

Operations Department

  • Webmasters Team had an internal discussion about the team status and the opportunity to transform the team as an unofficial working group. The Board discussed the importance of such a team, to take care of the infrastructure and websites with a shared strategy to manage the Joomla.org presence. An election will be held shortly.

  • Radek had a chance to connect with the Resources Directory Team.

  • Radek is having issues connecting with the Showcase Directory Team.

  • Vault migration to 1Password started.

  • Monthly Operations Department meetings scheduled for every first Thursday at 7.00pm @ UTC

  • Radek is reactivating the Joomla Template Directory Team.

Programs Department

Secretary

  • [Event Sponsorship] Given that CMS Africa Summit 2020 has been cancelled, Luca advised Events DC to request a reimbursement.

  • [GitHub Sponsors] Finally we applied to join the “GitHub Sponsors” initiative, having enabled the 2FA on our organizations on GitHub. The application has been approved and Joomla is able to receive sponsorships directly through the GitHub Sponsors feature: https://github.com/sponsors/joomla 

  • [Elections] The Call for Manifestos has a 28 day period in regular elections, according to the vote done by Community. This timeline has been applied also to the Replacement Elections that are currently running. Applying the standard timeline to replacement elections makes them last almost 2 months that might be a very long period for a replacement election, especially when there is an empty seat after a hard resignation. My proposal is to cut the Call for Manifestos deadline to 14 days instead of 28, to save at least 14 days in case of a Replacement Election. This is not against what was voted by the Community because it applies only to replacement elections and not regular elections, given that the replacement election case was not specified in the community motion proposal and according to Section 9.12 of the Bylaws, the Board has the power to promulgate Voting Procedures and this proposal does not qualify as a Voting Policy change, that otherwise would require Member approval. 

  • [Elections] Candidates’ manifestos have been published on March 25, 2020 as per schedule: https://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/joomla-officer-replacement-elections-nominee-announcement-2020.html 

  • [Assets] On a long-term perspective, we should aim to harmonize organization addresses, using joomla.org for functional mailboxes (e.g. privacy@joomla.org , marketing@joomla.org ), opensourcematters.org for institutional mailboxes (role based, e.g. president@opensourcematters.org , vicepresident@opensourcematters.org, etc.) and community.joomla.org for people mailboxes (first.last@community.joomla.org). The number of active volunteers can be managed through the org that we have on CJO. This would ease the management of assets and permissions.

  • [Assets] Mailboxes for Department Coordinators:

    • Events Department: events-dc@opensourcematters.org 

    • Legal & Finance: legal-finance-dc@opensourcematters.org 

    • Marketing & Communications DC: marketing-dc@opensourcematters.org 

    • Operations DC: operations-dc@opensourcematters.org 

    • Production DC: production-dc@opensourcematters.org 

    • Programs DC: programs-dc@opensourcematters.org 

  • [Assets] Mailboxes for Officers

    • President: president@opensourcematters.org

    • Vice President: vicepresident@opensourcematters.org

    • Secretary: secretary@opensourcematters.org

    • Treasurer: treasurer@opensourcematters.org

  • [Board of Directors] The announcement of official changes will be done once the replacement election will be completed, so that all the records will be up to date. Marco Dings became effective on March 23, 2020.

  • [Transition] Transition of the President role will be effective once the replacement election for Treasurer will be completed.

Other business

  • Hugh asked Board members to fill the agenda for the meetings at least 24 hours before the meeting to ensure effectiveness.

  • The Board would like to thank the outgoing Board Members for their service.

Motions taken during this meeting

#2020/040 - Admit Release Leaders as voting members (at Production Meetings) of the Production Department Coordination Team.
Proposed by Marco Dings, seconded by Luca Marzo.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

#2020/041 - Each sponsorship to events different from JoomlaDays should be regulated by a sponsorship agreement signed by the event organizer and Open Source Matters.
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Djamel Kherbi.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

#2020/042 - In case of a Replacement Election, the Call for Manifesto shall be open for 14 days. All the other deadlines and provisions of the standard election cycles are valid.
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Djamel Kherbi.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

#2020/043 - Any person who has a Code of Conduct sanction active on their record (i.e. has not expired under the 18 month rule) are ineligible to be considered in any election for Officer, Director, Assistant DC, Team Lead or assistant Team lead position within Joomla, OSM or the Joomla Foundation.
Proposed by Hugh Douglas-Smith, seconded by Jaz Parkyn.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

#2020/044 - The Secretary proposes to adjourn the meeting
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Jaz Parkyn.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

Motions taken offline before this meeting

#2020/039 - Approve and publish the Board Meeting Minutes.
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Radek Suski.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.