By Luca Marzo on 2020-04-30 11:14 in Board of Directors

Open Source Matters, Inc.
Full Board of Directors and Officers Meeting

Date: April 23, 2020
Time: 17:00 UTC
Total time of meeting: 1 hour 15 minutes

Attendees:

Brian Mitchell (President), Elisa Foltyn (Vice President), Luca Marzo (Secretary), Marco Dings (Director), Hugh Douglas-Smith (Director), Djamel Kherbi (Director), Jaz Parkyn (Director), Radek Suski (Director).

Apologies:

Rowan Hoskyns Abrahall (Treasurer), Eric Lamy (Director).

Proxies:

Luca Marzo served as proxy for Rowan Hoskyns Abrahall.
Jaz Parkyn served as proxy for Eric Lamy.

Discussion outline

President

  • Brian suggested to create a Board Calendar with all the relevant due dates during the year.

  • Brian shared a resource about budget planning.

  • Brian and Rowan to work on the Citibank Annual Reporting.

  • Brian provided a brief update on the Educational Working Group activities.

  • Brian to complete the switch of Joomla account with Rowan during the week.

  • Brian to work with Rowan and Hugh reviewing the proposal received from a vendor related to the Bookkeeper RFP.

Treasurer

  • Rowan did not attend the meeting due to health conditions.

  • Rowan proposed to dedicate the next Board Meeting to budget preparation.

  • Rowan to work with Brian to get YTD budget reports by department.

Production Department

  • Marco had some difficulties finding a meeting time for Production Department meetings due to limited availability of time slots.

  • The Production Department is working on dismissing JoomlaCode, developing a replacement to build language packs based on Crowdin. Discussions are underway about the role of the Core Translation Team and its internal processes.

  • Accessibility Team needs urgently skilled contributors and documented testing procedures.

  • Production is reaching out to veteran contributors to help with the development of Joomla 4.

  • Marco reviewed the Team Leaders guidelines developed by Jaz within the Volunteers Engagement Team and reminded Board members that should act accordingly as well.

Legal & Finance Department

  • Hugh requested a clarification regarding the copyright statements format and presence in the codebase. Luca is checking with the lawyers and will provide updates to that.

  • Hugh is reviewing the OSM Financial Policy and in particular the requirements for financial transparency, especially for reporting and documentation accompanying the transactions. Hugh to work on a draft to update the Policy.

Marketing & Communications Department

  •  

Events Department

  • Department Leadership Meeting scheduled for April 29.

  • The discussion about Virtual JUG rules is still ongoing within the team.

  • Djamel to work with Luca to reach out to CMS Africa organizers.

Operations Department

  • The Joomla Template Directory Team is planning a meeting soon and welcomed a new member, Nekesa Lorna Patience from Uganda.

  • The list.joomla.org has been finally removed. Wilco is cleaning other properties.

  • The new JCM issue has been published.

  • No reports from the Joomla Showcase Directory Team yet.

  • Jaz and Wilco have been intensively improving and cleaning the Extensions Directory website. This was needed to improve the stability and prepare for the future JED version.

  • The JSST is involved in improving the security of all properties. 

  • For all properties a GitHub project has been created. Tobias is creation a plugin to help integrate existing websites with GitHub 

  • The documentation for Webmasters is being constantly updated.

Programs Department

  • Jaz worked on the preparation of a guidelines document for Team Leaders and received feedback and suggestions from the Volunteers Engagement Team. The goal would be to adopt such documents as standard guidelines for Team Leaders across the whole organization.

  • All members of active teams or working groups within the Programs Department have been sent a membership form so volunteers can specify their chosen level of commitment and so that inactive volunteers can be identified.

  • Educational Outreach meeting minutes now available on the Volunteers Portal.

  • VET team is still missing two department representatives - Operations and Legal & Finance. Jaz requested the DCs to suggest a representative from their Department.

Vice President

  • The “kids4opensource” project in germany went very well. 32 Kids created Joomla websites. One Joomler from Germany gave away a mini pc as a price. Other prizes were hosted from hosteurope since they sponsored the hosting of the sites, 2 books of David and I, 2 hours personal Training. I talked already to Jonathan to be able move the kids sites to launch.joomla.org. The kids4opensource week involved 7 mentors and at least 6 hours per day for every mentor (some more) We also talked already to Laura and SD to share experiences so they can make use of it in the US series. The project gave us not only good insights on how to do such training but also “free user testing”. In such training situations it’s very clear to see where Joomla has a UX deficit. We make a list and share with Production as well.

  • Yesterday's proposed help by Jenn Gress in the main channel resulted in a small working group with the aim to improve documentation and testing of Release Candidate. The RC checklist was shared by Philip and next week there will be a meeting how to move forward.

  • In the launch.joomla.org channel there is a discussion on how to improve launch.joomla.org conversions.  

  • Benjamin asked Elisa how to gain more sponsors for PBF End of year. Due to the COVID-19 situation, Elisa suggested some different ways to arrange the events, including the gamification.

  • Elisa, following Wilco’s question, suggested promoting Bugs & Fun @ Home also on the Community Portal, to get more traction.

  • Before VP role, Elisa took a coaching with 5 coaches for 1,5 hours and talked with them if it’s possible to partner with Joomla. Three of the coaches offer Joomla their expertise with Leadership and Communication Skills and are also willing to meet up with us from time to time for free and help us out with coaching. They are completely outside of the Joomla community and already brought some good first points to work on. They are still on the notes from our meeting or forget to send them to me

Secretary

  • [Transparency] Luca spent some time working on the OSM website, improving the “Federal Filings” section. Added sliders and lists to improve readability, added descriptions related to each type of Forms and added links to the publicly auditable New York State Charities Bureau filings. https://www.opensourcematters.org/organisation/finances/financial-filings.html 

  • [Website] Restored Meeting Minutes from 2008 to 2010 in the OSM website that were hidden.

  • [Elections] Replacement elections for Vice President and Treasurer have been completed. Results are published at https://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/joomla-officer-replacement-elections-results-2020.html 

  • [Magazine] Luca is happy to see the Magazine back on track. The second issue has been published and the team meeting held on April 22 has been successful. There is a lot of energy in the team.

  • [Bookkeeping RFP] We’ve received only one application. Luca shared the proposal received with the Board for review.

  • [Official Communication] Effective since April 18, 2020 the Full Board of Directors and Officers of Open Source Matters, Inc. is composed by:

    • Brian Jacob Mitchell, from the United States - President.

    • Elisa Sophia Foltyn, from Germany - Vice President.

    • Luca Marzo, from Italy - Secretary.

    • Rowan Hoskyns-Abrahall, from the United Kingdom - Treasurer.

    • Marco Dings, from the Netherlands - Director.

    • Hugh Douglas-Smith, from the United Kingdom - Director.

    • Djamel Eddine Kherbi, from Algeria - Director.

    • Jasmine Zoe Parkyn, from the United Kingdom - Director.

    • Eric Lamy, from France - Director.

    • Radek Suski, from Germany - Director.

Other business

  • Brian to transfer the kids4opensource.com domain to the OSM account.

Motions taken during this meeting

#2020/052 - Make Community Magazine Team an official Team with voting rights in the Operations Department.
Proposed by Radek Suski, seconded by Luca Marzo.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

#2020/053 - The Secretary proposes to adjourn the meeting.
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Djamel Kherbi.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

Motions taken offline before this meeting

#2020/051 - Approve and publish the Board Meeting Minutes.
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Radek Suski.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.