By Luca Marzo on 2021-03-07 10:08 in Board of Directors

Open Source Matters, Inc.
Full Board of Directors and Officers Meeting

Date: February 25, 2021
Time: 18:00 UTC
Total time of meeting: 2 hour 50 minutes


Brian Mitchell (President), Justine Ayebale Abunyanga (Vice President), Luca Marzo (Secretary), Radek Suski (Treasurer), Marco Dings (Director), Hugh Douglas-Smith (Director), David Opati Aswani (Director), Jaz Parkyn (Director), Wilco Alsemgeest (Director).


Marianela Queme (Director).


Jaz Parkyn for Luca Marzo from 20:00 UTC

Discussion outline


  • Radek shared the current bank balances.

  • Radek shared the recently received invoices from JaB e.V.

  • Radek and Brian are still working on the PayPal access.

Production Department

  • Following the proposal discussed a few weeks ago and having heard the teams, Marco proposed to proceed with the merge of Core Translation Team and Community Translation Team. A motion is actioned to officially address the matter.

  • Following the collaboration with Google on the LazyLoading, Google has reached out for additional technical collaboration. Marco is leading the discussion with them.

  • There are some delays in the work on the Frontend template for Joomla 4 due to the unavailability of the volunteers who were working on it.

Legal & Finance Department

  • A request from the VET team to compile a list of which departments/areas require NDA to be signed. Hugh prepared a spreadsheet and shared it with the Board to check and fill out as appropriate.

  • Hugh has started a preliminary research on the status of the 501(c)(3) and the related benefits. He will share additional information and findings at the next meeting.

Marketing & Communications Department

  • Marco highlighted the need to proceed publishing the defined and agreed market definition for Joomla, in order to allow the teams to complete building the marketing strategy. Marco and Wilco to take care of the blog post.

Events Department

  • The Department Leadership Meeting was held on February 13, 2021. The Department is onboarding several new volunteers and members.

  • The project to complete the migration from SobiPro to DPCalendar is again in progress.

  • Contact of all JUGs is being done by Brian Ronnow, and we are working on a tool kit that will help the  JUGs.

  • The Events team will reach out to the Trademark Team to find better ways of working together especially when it comes to event organizers meeting the requirements before events are approved.

Operations Department

Programs Department

  • The VET team are developing a new layout for the Help Wanted project that is aimed to form part of the Volunteer Portal to help Joomla attract new volunteers. Their research has included what other communities are doing, and the first draft looks very effective.

  • The Educational Outreach Working Group put forward a number of questions to the board about the different options that are available to them in creating their resource hub.

  • The Board discussed the proposals and questions from the Educational Outreach Working Group.

Vice President

  • Progress on the consulting Company and the meeting held with the representative Clara.

  • She has a technical proposal which she has drafted worth sharing with the board. 


  • [Elections] The elections for Secretary, Production DC, Operations DC and Legal & Finance DC have been completed. Brian Mitchell has been confirmed as President.

  • [Bylaws] The new version of the Bylaws has been published at 

  • [Social Contract] Brian Teeman suggested to adopt a document like this “Social Contract” to provide a standard set of useful information for volunteers and newcomers: 

  • [GSoD] There is the opportunity to apply for Google Summer of Docs. Deadline to apply is March 26, 2021 at 18.00 UTC. It would be worth exploring the opportunity to participate in order to speed up the creation of documentation for Joomla 4.

  • [Communications to the Board

    • Marianela Queme sent me an official resignation letter from her role as Marketing & Communications Department Coordinator. A new replacement election will be called as soon as possible. The Board would like to thank Marianela for her service as DC during her tenure.

    • Ilagnayeru Manickam sent me an official resignation message from his role as Team Leader of the Core Translation Team. The Board would like to express gratitude to Mig for his long term leadership of the team.


  • [Elections] Brian thanked Luca for another well run election cycle, as well as each of the board members that volunteered to run for another term. It is a significant commitment of time and energy. Brian is looking forward to working with the Board as a whole for another year in discerning how we can best serve the community. Brian’s personal focus this term is around promoting Joomla 4 at every opportunity and constantly asking how he can help other volunteers and leaders be as successful as possible in their positions.

  • [Uphold update] Their support reached out yesterday asking for official documentation for the current Trustees of the Joomla Foundation. Brian is working with Luca to compile that evidence so it can be submitted. They have acknowledged the registry of the foundation in Delaware which was a significant hurdle. Brian believes this will be the last step to establishing the business account. I may require additional assistance configuring the BAT (Brave Attention Tokens) donation mechanism with the Foundation Uphold wallet once this is approved.

  • [Joomla Foundation] Brian shared some additional information about the application process from the IRS.

Luca left the meeting at 20:00 UTC. Jaz served as his proxy from this time.

Other business

  • Jaz suggested to the Events DC to reach out to the CMS Africa organizing team in order to find out more details about their upcoming 2021 event (date, format, subject, sponsorship packages etc) and to enquire about options available for using our previously donated and unused funds for future events.

  • Marco politely reminded everyone of the importance of upholding the agreement of 24 hour response times as per the obligations of all Board Members.

  • The board agreed that future election deadlines would be final and imposed so not allowing the late submission of a manifesto in the last President's election to set a precedent for the future. This is especially applicable to incumbent board members who decide to run for another term.

Motions taken during this meeting

#2021/013 - Transfer the Core Translation Team currently in the Production Department and the Community Translation Team currently in the Marketing & Communications Department into a single team called "Joomla Translation Program Team" within the Programs Department.
Proposed by Marco Dings, seconded by Luca Marzo
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

Proposed by Marco Dings, seconded by Wilco Alsemgeest
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

#2021/015 - The President proposes to adjourn the meeting
Proposed by Brian Mitchell, seconded by Hugh Douglas-Smith
The motion passed with unanimous consent.

Motions taken offline before this meeting

#2021/012 - Approve and publish the Board Meeting Minutes.
Proposed by Luca Marzo, seconded by Jaz Parkyn.
The motion passed with unanimous consent.