Production Dept. Meeting MINUTES - December 15, 2020
Production Dept. Meeting MINUTES
- December 15, 2020
1900 CEST, UTC+2
Participants: Benjamin Trenkle (Team Leader), Carlos Cámara (Team Leader), David Jardin (Team Leader), George Wilson (Release Lead 4.0), Harald Leithner (Release Lead 3.9), Marco Dings (Department Coordinator), Llewellyn van der Merwe (Assistant Department Coordinator), Niels Braczek (Team Leader), Sigrid Gramlinger (Team Leader), Philip Walton (Team Leader), Robert Deutz (Team Leader), Tobias Zulauf (Release Lead 3.10)
Absent with notice: Hannes Papenberg (Team Leader)
Absent without notice: Mike Brandner (Team Leader), Nicola Galgano (Team Leader), Ilagnayeru Manickam (Team Leader)
Agenda Items & minutes
Production Department Coordinator (Marco Dings)
- Propose to skip the 12/29 meeting because of holidays
- Contacting larger extension developers to prepare for J4. Starting with https://www.dctinc.com
- Need to plan for “communication” of RFC for RFC
Joomla Accessibility Team (Carlos Cámara Mora)
- Carlos Cámara Mora resigned from the team lead position.
Security Strike Team (David Jardin)
- Next JCM edition will include an article about Joomla becoming a CNA, explaining the advantages for “normal” Joomla users
Releaseleads (Benjamin Trenkle, George Wilson, Tobias Zulauf, Harald Leithner)
* Releaselead 4.0 (George Wilson):
- Merge of 3.10 into 4.0 complete
- Work on language pack release into the downloads site progressing in conjunction with the ops team.
* Releaseleads 3.9 (Harald Leithner):
- Joomla! 3.9.24-rc is planned for today
- I would like to have 3.9.24 the last Joomla! 3.9 version, and have Joomla 3.10 and Joomla 4 early 2021.
CMS Release Team (Sigrid Gramlinger)
- We had a meeting on the component for the documentation of testing activities.
- We will setup test profiles of team members on different testing environments.
CMS Maintenance Team (Robert Deutz)
- Enabling GitHub discussion for the main Joomla! Repository
Google Summer of Code Joomla Team (Philip Walton)
- Selection of proposed ideas
- 38 people personally contacted and asked to be a mentor. So far 14 yes and 3 probably 2 No due to moving or job change at the time of the event. https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline
- Team has all the updated documents and access to the sheets
- Motion: Update RfC proposal workflow [NB]
It was intended that the Production Department can move a proposal to the Draft stage without having to ask all 140 members of OSM and waiting for two weeks as a shortcut. This was lost during the edits of the RFC workflow. This motion is intended to remedy that.
Now that we have started the RfC process, we have come across an ambiguity.
In the "Pre-Draft" section of the workflow description it says:
"For Features and Specifications, Production Department Team Leaders and the Production Department Coordinator may reject a proposal, if it does not match the vision and the mission of the Joomla project, or if its implementation would cause unmanageable maintenance effort.
The Sponsor may then call for an Entrance Vote of all members of Open Source Matters (Class 1, 2 and 3) to enquire whether the Joomla community is generally interested in publishing a Joomla Feature, publishing a Joomla Specification or implement a Process for the proposed subject, even if they disagree with the details of the proposal, i.e., the Entrance Vote is based on the first two sections (1. Summary and 2. Why Bother) only."
It was intended that the Entrance Vote could be bypassed if a majority of the Production Department Team Leaders supported the proposal, but the description of the workflow does not reflect this intention. Instead, it reads as if the Entrance Vote would only be conducted if the proposal was rejected.
To correct this, the above two paragraphs are replaced by the following:
"Once the Working Group deems the first two sections (1. Summary and 2. Why bother?) complete, the Sponsor may request an Entrance Vote among the Production Department Team Leaders and the Production Department Coordinator to determine if there is a general interest in publishing a Joomla Feature or Specification or implementing a Process for the proposed topic. If the vote fails, the Sponsor may request an Entrance Vote of all Open Source Matters Members (Class 1, 2 and 3).
For Feature or Specification proposals, the Production Department Team Leaders and Production Department Coordinator may initiate a Rejection Vote if the proposal does not meet the vision and mission of the Joomla project, or if its implementation would create an unmanageable maintenance burden. A rejection must be justified in detail."
The diagram in the meta document will be updated accordingly.
Result: unanimous (10 votes)