By Llewellyn van der Merwe on 2021-02-02 18:02 in Production

Production Dept. Meeting MINUTES
- January  26, 2021

1900 CEST, UTC+2

Participants: Benjamin Trenkle (Team Leader), George Wilson (Release Lead 4.0) Hannes Papenberg (Team Leader), Harald Leithner (Release Lead 3.9), Marco Dings (Department Coordinator), Mike Brandner (Team Leader), Llewellyn van der Merwe (Assistant Department Coordinator), Nicola Galgano (Team Leader), Niels Braczek (Team Leader), Sigrid Gramlinger (Team Leader), Philip Walton (Team Leader), Robert Deutz (Team Leader), Tobias Zulauf (Release Lead 3.10)
Absent with notice: David Jardin (Team Leader)
Absent without notice: Ilagnayeru Manickam (Team Leader)

Agenda Items & minutes

Production Department Coordinator (Marco Dings)

  1. Give the go-ahead for the development of UX metrics While developers have SOLID (five design principles intended to make software designs more understandable, flexible, and maintainable) and others to guide them in their work, the UX area seems to get lost in details about size, position and colour of buttons due to lack of corresponding sign-poles.
    A group of people is ready to collect and, if necessary, define a set of metrics to support the development towards a better UX.
    The corresponding RFC has been ready for the Entrance Vote since the beginning of December. All we need to know for now, is: Does Joomla want to improve UX in a measurable way? If so, vote +1 on this motion.
    It is not a goal of the RFC to define the target values for the metrics. It will just reveal the places we need to look to improve the UX and show methods to assess the current state.
    => Entrance vote was not conducted, will be done by mail.
  2. Restructuring JAT team into 2 subteams “pre development/research” & implementation”

Security Strike Team (David Jardin)

  1. There is a new CNA API called: “CVE ID Reservation System” we will start working on a public PHP/PHAR cli app. -> joomla/cve-cli-php as well as a Framework Package for the API to be used by us and other CNAs.
  2. Two new Members to the JSST:
    1. Niels Braczek (Framework Team Liaison)
    2. Richard Fath
  3. Tobias attended the virtual CVE Working Group Readout on 26.01.2021

Release Leads (Benjamin Trenkle, George Wilson, Tobias Zulauf, Harald Leithner)

* Releaselead 4.0 (George Wilson):

  1. BS5 merged. We will release an additional beta as a result probably next week.
  2. Actively working on release blockers again.
  3. Downloads site being populated with Data from JoomlaCode thanks to Wilco.

* Maintainer Framework (Niels Braczek):

  1. joomla-framework/uri
    I added some tests to the URI package to ensure correct query handling. They do fail, so I need to know from this round: What is the expected behaviour of getQuery()?
    Please find the tests in joomla-framework#26 from line 563. (Ignore the changes above that line; they came in by accident and are not related to this question.)
    => Hannes, Niels and Llewellyn meet on Friday about this.
  2. Some framework packages have not changed the API between 1.x and 2.0, so according to SemVer the major version increase is not justified. Is there a reason for the version jump that I missed?
    => PHP major version bump. It’s also for easier co-ordination of releases.

Documentation Team (Mike Brandner)

  1. JDoc Team Meeting Report
  2. JDoc Beginner pages need a complete revision
  3. JDoc administration documentation progress needs a new meeting with Tom
  4. Full focus on J4 documentation - freeze of J3 work (except the pre update checker)
  5. Annual report 2020 in progress
  6. Do we have a feature list of J4? We need to check the completeness of the documentation

Bug Squad Team (Nicola Galgano)

  1. Raise Minimum requirements for php -> 7.4 and mysql -> 5.7
  2. Update node, npm minimum requirements actually node is 10 it should be 12 or 14

Software Architecture & Strategy Team (Niels Braczek)

  1. Expansion of test areas:
    1. The Software Architecture and Strategy Team asks the Automated Testing Team to investigate where in the release cycle OWASP ZAP could be integrated as an additional security test.
      => nightly (Tobias, Niels)
    2. The Software Architecture and Strategy team recommends creating a (set of) Docker image(s) that can be used for various kinds of testing purposes across Joomla.
  2. Bootstrap 5: Software Architecture and Strategy Team recommends that the involved developers should have two weeks to integrate BS5 into J4.0. If this is not successful by then, the aim should be to introduce BS5 with J4.1 (possibly with a BC layer).

CMS Release Team (Sigrid Gramlinger)

  1. J4 Testing with Bootstrap 5 on Jan 22, we could discover quite some issues. We will do more testing on J4.

Google Summer of Code Joomla Team (Philip Walton)

  1. All the groups in glip have been made, the teams entered. Just working on the document to use for the entry form once we can enter the program

Other Business

  1. Joomla CMS (4.0 + 3.10) Integration with Crowdin (TZ)
    => Will check the details with Wilco and come up with a proposal
  2. Status RFC Process (HL)
    => The RFC process gets slowly accepted. There are already some proposals, which are not ready for Entrance Voting, though.

Finalized Motions

  1. PASSED : Motion PROD2021/000 Introduce Bootstrap 5 into Joomla 4 instead of bootstrap 4