By Llewellyn van der Merwe on 2021-09-06 20:45 in Production


Production Dept. Meeting MINUTES
- August  24, 2021

Participants: Benjamin Trenkle (Team Leader), David Jardin (Team Leader), Harald Leithner (Release Lead 3.9), Marco Dings (Department Coordinator), Christiane Maier-Stadtherr (Team Leader),Jacob Waisner (Team Leader), Niels Braczek (Team Leader), Sigrid Gramlinger (Team Leader), Shivam Rajput (Team Leader), Philip Walton (Marketing Liaison), Robert Deutz (Team Leader), Tobias Zulauf (Release Lead 3.10)
Absent with notice: Hannes Papenberg (Team Leader), Llewellyn van der Merwe (Assistant Department Coordinator), George Wilson (Release Lead 4.0), Mike Brandner (Team Leader)

Production Department Coordinator (Marco Dings)

  • Heartfelt thanks for passing the 4.0 and 3.10 milestones to everybody who contributed.

Joomla! Accessibility Team (Christiane Maier-Stadtherr)

  • J4 Accessibility has good feedback from users who have some knowledge about a11y.
  • After some investigation and finally access to hidden github channels we found lots of good documents and presentations of JAT which were hidden (or forgotten) in google docs and presentations. We will inspect and collect - and transfer to joomla docs as much as possible.

Security Strike Team (David Jardin)

  • Joomla 4.0.1 has been released fixing a ACL issue related to com_media in Joomla 4.x
  • David spent some time with THM students during their “Web Programming Week”, giving them an introduction into the JSST work and challenges involved with the team’s work.

Release Leads (Benjamin Trenkle, George Wilson, Tobias Zulauf, Harald Leithner)

* Release lead 4.1 (Benjamin Trenkle)

  • Release 4.1 Roadmap end of September

* Release lead 3.10 (Tobias Zulauf):

  • Joomla 3.10.1 has been released
  • Joomla 3.10.0 had serious issues with the updater that have been patched mainly by 3.10.1, that's also one the reasons for 3.10.1 released already one week after 3.10.0.
  • Joomla 3.10.2 is planned to be released on 14.09.2021 to fix other issues and the improvements coming up.
  • After 3.10.2 we the plan is to switch back to the 6 weeks release circle but that can be subject to change.

* Maintainer Framework (Niels Braczek):

  • Framework 2.0 has been published.
  • The Utilities/RegEx package needs approval; the new RFC1738 compatible HTTP parser depends on it.

* Maintainer Docker (Llewellyn van der Merwe):

  • Llewellyn as the new maintainer of the docker images.
  • We are moving to a new architecture which will require an improved API (but we will use a static file for now until then) so we can centralize the release and versions control of each variant matrix.
  • The new architecture follows the PHP official docker build path.
  • The new architecture will allow for easy multi version build.
  • This new architecture initially will not change the current images, just add more.
  • The new architecture will soon be in the staging branch for viewing, testing and feedback.
  • The latest version will become 4.0.x
  • We will also be able to increase/improve the user integration with the Joomla docker images.
  • We would like to invite all (go to the docker repo open issues, and make PR’s) who have systems administrator experience around Joomla deployment to contribute best practices and environment improvements to ensure we offer the best possible solution with our docker image deployment.

Bug Squad Team (Jacob Waisner)

  • JBS has been working to address new bugs found in J4 since stable launch. As part of that features and issues are being checked to identify if issues still exist or features need tagged for 4.1 or 4.2.

Documentation Team (Mike Brandner)

  • We work on updates of the Joomla 4.0 documentation
    Lots of documents need to be finished
  • We need help from volunteers to get all documents up to date.
    → to become more support: we get in contact with the engagement team
  • In Joomla 3.10: the backend links to HelpPages and gets a 404 error.
    Currently we are hand on to fix this issue.

Software Architecture & Strategy Team (Niels Braczek)

  • When methods or classes get deprecated in the core, ALL usages of those should be replaced by the new solution. There are still many places in J4 that use deprecated methods (and class aliases). We should be more careful about that.

CMS Release Team (Sigrid Gramlinger)

  • We need to define a process for failed releases, planned for next team meeting
  • Make live release events like the last Joomla London JUG – it was very informative. At least for all minor releases, next would be 4.1. Make it a live stream but also record for people in other time zones.
  • Should be covered from release leads above.

CMS Maintenance Team (Robert Deutz)

  • We want to add all people who are maintaining parts of our software to the CMS maintainers team/chat, like Llewellyn and Niels who are not in the team at this moment in time.
  • Added Hannes as responsible for com_search and Tuan as responsible for weblinks to the maintainers team, so we have all people in charge of releases in one team together. This should make coordination of development easier.

Google Summer of Code Joomla “Students Contribution” Team (Shivam Rajput)

  • Google Summer of Code Final Evaluation kicked off
    • Students end on 16 August, all have submitted the same.
    • Mentors will start submitting from today, we are positive with all students.
  • Summer of Code
    • First Evaluation was a great success for both students.

Other Business

  • Core Translation Coordinator Team Lead Status Starting with 3.10.0 and 4.0.0 there is, as predicted here many times, no one to coordinate the TT Teams and also the TT’s itself demand better coordination. You can also see that on reports on invalid installer language, different issues with full packs as well as issues with update handling, until the break the TT Coordinator Team has taken care about such issues as well as informed TTs about changes and worked with them to coordinate. As the production department coordination has said they have taken over that responsibility I would like to ask you to act on that responsibility too and work towards a solution so it's not all on the Release Leads to coordinate without much knowledge of the TTs.
    [MD] Will do
  • Recorded actions
    • PDC to coordinate with Translation team as suggested above