By Llewellyn van der Merwe on 2022-03-07 21:39 in Production

Production Dept. Meeting MINUTES
- February  22, 2022

Participants: Benjamin Trenkle (Department Coordinator), Harald Leithner (Release Lead 5.0), Mike Brandner (Team Leader), Franciska Perisa (Release Lead 4.2), Niels Braczek (Release Lead 5.0, Team Leader), Sigrid Gramlinger (Team Leader), Shivam Rajput (Team Leader), Philip Walton (Marketing Liaison), Tobias Zulauf (Release Lead 3.10)
Absent with notice: Christiane Maier-Stadtherr (Team Leader), Viviana Menzel (Assistant Team Leader), Llewellyn van der Merwe (Assistant Department Coordinator), Robert Deutz (Team Leader), David Jardin (Team Leader), Roland Dalmulder (Release Lead 4.2), Jacob Waisner (Team Leader)
Absent without notice:Hannes Papenberg (Team Leader)

Production Department Coordinator (Benjamin Trenkle)

  • Plans 2022
    • Create a vision for Joomla! where we should be in 1, 3, 5 years
    • Communicate mid- and long term goals per team
    • Start brainstorming how to implement: “Enforce documentation and tests on each PR”
  • Thank you Marco Dings for your contribution as DC over the last years
  • Llewellyn van der Merwe fortunately agreed to continue his support as Department Coordinator Assistant for the upcoming term. Thank you Llewellyn for your commitment!

Joomla! Accessibility Team (Christiane Maier-Stadtherr, Viviana Menzel)

  • The Media manager seems to need some work for being accessible.
    We hope to get feedback and suggestions and solutions for J4.2.
  • We are planning a campaign to get feedback from users on accessibility.
    • Of the product. We would like to place a feedback form on central places, where developers / users can give feedback. Preparing announcement on JCM and social media, and a feedback form.
    • Of the sites for users.

Security Strike Team (David Jardin)

  • Had a very good sprint at February 12th, made good progress

Releaseleads (Harald, Niels, Roland, Franciska, Benjamin, George, Tobias, Llewellyn)

* Release Lead 5.0 (Niels Braczek, Harald Leithner):

  • Started to collect pain points for GUI Review

    ⇒ Combined Usability/Accessibility Sprint
    ⇒ A Google Form will be provided to collect input from the wider community

  • Block Editor: Harald talked to Titus and Dimitris about a block editor that could make editing more flexible. A working group is being formed.

* Release Lead 4.2 (Roland Dalmulder, Franciska Perisa)

  • Setting up a roadmap for 4.2

* Release Lead 4.1 (Benjamin Trenkle)

  • Released 4.1.0 without major problems. Small TinyMCE JS issue which will be fixed with 4.1.1. Some problems occur when you install Joomla! outside of the official installer and the #__schemas table is not filled, will write a FAQ entry here.
  • Moved the joomla-a11y-checker to npm

* Release Lead 4.0 (George Wilson)

  • Thank you very much George Wilson for all your heavy contributions over the last years from the whole team!

* Release lead 3.10 (Tobias Zulauf):

  • Joomla 3.10.6 has been released alongside of 4.1.0 at the 15.02.2022
  • As of 20.02.2022 the 3.10-dev branch is open to be merged into again

* Maintainer Docker (Llewellyn van der Merwe):

  • Added Joomla 4.1 as the latest image, and removed 4.0 from being built any longer. But it is still available on docker.
  • Working on improving the current images.

Documentation Team (Mike Brandner)

  • Developer Documentation: who will be responsible in future? subteam?
    • Mike is preparing a requirement list
  • A workflow will be sketched until the next meeting on how new functions from PRs will find their way into the documentation. Triggered by the submitter.

Bug Squad Team (Jacob Waisner)

  • Joomla 4.1 Released
  • Meeting between Jacob and Benjamin to discuss future coordination with 4.1 plans scheduled this week

Software Architecture & Strategy Team (Niels Braczek)

  • Discussed the Priority Matrix (see above)
  • According to Llewellyn, some developers/integrators consider skipping Joomla 4, since Joomla 5 is “so close”. We should make clear publicly that that is a bad idea.
    ⇒ Magazine article is in the planning about that

CMS Release Team (Sigrid Gramlinger)

  • Documentation for new features - CMS Release team raised the question if we can make this required before we merge PRs?
    ⇒ Mike is going to sketch a solution - One option is tagging PRs with “Documentation required”, having maintainers, JBS and release leads to be aware of missing documentation.
  • Idea to create video recordings (i.e. in an online meeting) where new features are presented by the developers. This will help documentation, testing and marketing. Probably it is easier to present than to write down everything. We want to test this with 4.2 features in beta release.
  • In the team we discussed if the release date for a major version in the middle of holiday season is ok. → we will not change the release date for 5.0 (Aug. 17, 2023), if we can stay with the currently planned roadmap.

Other Business