By Llewellyn van der Merwe on 2022-05-13 07:07 in Production

Production Dept. Meeting MINUTES
- May  03, 2022

Participants: Benjamin Trenkle (Department Coordinator), David Jardin (Team Leader), Hannes Papenberg (Team Leader), Harald Leithner (Release Lead 5.0), Mike Brandner (Team Leader), Franciska Perisa (Release Lead 4.2), Christiane Maier-Stadtherr (Team Leader), Richard Fath (surrogate for Jacob Waisner) (Team Leader), Llewellyn van der Merwe (Assistant Department Coordinator), Niels Braczek (Team Leader), Sigrid Gramlinger (Team Leader), Shivam Rajput (Team Leader), Philip Walton (Marketing Liaison), Robert Deutz (Team Leader), Tobias Zulauf (Release Lead 3.10)
Absent: Viviana Menzel (Assistant Team Leader), Roland Dalmulder (Release Lead 4.2)

Bug Squad Team (Richard Fath deputising for Jacob Waisner)

  • Officially list MariaDB in the Technical Requirements documentation as supported with minimum version requirement 10.1 as defined here, together with a footnote telling that database clients and drivers for MySQL are used so that features which are specific to MariaDB and not available on MySQL are not supported. Reason: There are often questions in the support forum of social media if MariaDB is supported, and MariaDB becomes more and more used instead of MySQL.
    => The requirements need a footnote which versions are supported from MariaDB
    => Needs a magazine article to clarify the conditions and the future development (Marketing will get in touch)
  • Team Lead elections take place from Friday, May 6, to Friday, May 13.

Joomla! Enhancement Development Team (Shivam Rajput)

  • Google Summer of Code (GSoC)
    • GSoC Team has decided to request 5 slots for this year.
    • 12th May is the Date when Google will announce the Slots.
    • On 20th May Selected students would be announced from Google’s End.
  • Summer of Code (SoC)
    • We have been allotted 3 Projects slots for this year.
    • Initial discussion has 3 projects for now.
      • Multilingual Content Synchronisation
      • Health check
      • Content drafting

Joomla! Accessibility Team (Christiane Maier-Stadtherr, Viviana Menzel)

  • Team lead selection must be prepared.
  • Our new member Julian (blind) had a screen reader presentation in JUG London. Very impressive and he will continue with publishing articles in the Community Magazine.

Security Strike Team (David Jardin)

  • Captive page for 2FA in J4 to split up the login process in several steps for better integration.
    => Motion requested
  • Very productive meeting with Nic and Brian to review the security issues that we tried to fix in the authentication layer. Various todo items as outcome, targeting both the concrete issues but also meta issues.
  • Reached out to Github to get input on an improved security patch workflow

Automated Testing Team (Hannes Papenberg)

  • Semi-Automated Dependency Updates
    We need at least some form of automated dependency updates. Unfortunately dependabot seems not up to the task for our needs. Renovatebot seems to be better, but seems to require write access. Should we self-host a renovatebot instance? The Jorobo repo is currently a testing ground for renovatebot.
  • Jenkins retirement: The following tasks in Jenkins are retired and now handled by Drone:
    • Issue Tracker
    • joomla/schema
    • Statistics server
      Additional tasks will be converted in the next months.
  • Joomla-Browser got a new 4.x-dev branch and a 4.0 release. The 3.x-dev branch will not be maintained any longer and 4.0 is actually a work in progress. Half the methods have been refactored to work with Joomla 4 and have gotten tests at the same time. Some new methods have been added as well.
  • Jorobo has got its minimum PHP version raised to 7.2.5 and additional work is being done right now to make everything work with Joomla 4. Jorobo right now has a version 0.7.6 released. The plan is to release 4.0.0 soon, when the code is Joomla 4-ready. Support for Joomla 3 will be discontinued. If someone is using it with Joomla 3, they should stay with 0.7.6.
  • The changes to Joomla-Browser and Jorobo are both aimed at Weblinks, which tests currently aren’t working because both aren’t really compatible with Joomla 4. Weblinks will work as an example and testing ground for these 2 tools. When ready, these will be deployed to the other decoupled, core-maintained extensions.

Releaseleads (Harald, Niels, Roland, Franciska, Benjamin, George, Tobias, Llewellyn)

* Release Lead 5.0 (Harald Leithner, Niels Braczek):

* Release Lead 4.2 (Roland Dalmulder, Franciska Perisa)

* Release Lead 4.1 (Benjamin Trenkle)

  • 4.1.3 RC1 released
  • 4.1.3 stable will come on Tuesday, 10th of May

* Release lead 3.10 (Tobias Zulauf):

  • 3.10.9-rc1 has been released
  • 3.10.9 expected to be released on 10.05.

Documentation Team (Mike Brandner)

  • I have some problems with user rights - it is not possible to decrease or increase user rights (user groups in JDoc are mythic, historical setup)
  • Archiving in progress - countless outdated documents have been archived (Joomla1 - 2.5), but can still be found in the JDocs.
  • SEO changes should be observed (archive Pages should be delisted)
  • a switch to Github (for new topics) is being discussed (some are struggling) - will be discussed in the next JDoc team meeting

Software Architecture & Strategy Team (Niels Braczek)

  • There’s a need to make the public more aware of the framework as a base for bespoke applications. Ideas and sample projects are welcome.

CMS Release Team (Sigrid Gramlinger)

  • Nothing other than Release Leads reported.
  • We have two common testing sessions scheduled for this week.