By Llewellyn van der Merwe on 2022-12-07 09:55 in Production

Production Dept. Meeting MINUTES
- November  29, 2022

Participants: Benjamin Trenkle (Department Coordinator), Hannes Papenberg (Team Leader), Harald Leithner (Release Lead 5.0), Mike Brandner (Team Leader), Olivier Buisard (Release Manager 4.3), Shirielle “SD” Williams (Release Manager 4.3), Roland Dalmulder (Release Lead 4.2), Franciska Perisa (Release Lead 4.2), Christiane Maier-Stadtherr (Team Leader), Viviana Menzel (Assistant Team Leader), Crystal Dionysopoulos (Team Leader), Jacob Waisner (Team Leader), Niels Braczek (Team Leader), Sigrid Gramlinger (Team Leader), Shivam Rajput (Team Leader), Philip Walton (Marketing Liaison), Robert Deutz (Team Leader), Tobias Zulauf (Release Lead 3.10)
Absent: Llewellyn van der Merwe (Assistant Department Coordinator), David Jardin (Team Leader)

Production Department Coordinator (Benjamin Trenkle)

  • Congratulations to the first 4.3 Alpha 1 release
  • To keep the meetings short, better separation of “Talk Topics” and “Updates/Proposed Topics”
  • Motion will be send out:
    Handling the conversion of issues to discussions
    Since before there was no rule about the handling of the issues to discussion conversion, this motion sets the following rules:
    • in general issues will not be converted to discussions
    • if an issue appears to be a discussion only, the JBS team can decide (in an informal simple majority vote) to convert an issue to a discussion.
    • other issues are either valid issues and should remain open until solved or addressed, or invalid/irrelevant issues which should be closed and possibly locked, with a note explaining why.

Joomla! Enhancement Development Team (Shivam Rajput)

  • Google Summer of Code (GSoC)
    • All student successfully passed the evaluation for Gsoc 2022.
    • Planning underway for the Gsoc 2023
    • Student already reaching out via emails and Twitter.

Joomla! Accessibility Team (Christiane Maier-Stadtherr)

  • New member - Alexa is joining the team as a technical writer to help with accessibility documentation!

Joomla! Experience Team (Crystal Dionysopoulos)

  • PLT Strategy Sprint - reviewing possible dates, what to expect, and attendees.
  • New JXT member! We’re happy to welcome Jarron as another UX Writer.
  • The JXT is forming subgroups to work on three critical projects at the same time:
    • JWEB - website strategy and template
    • JED4 - the new Joomla Extensions Directory component
    • J5UX - usability polishing and refinements for Joomla 5
    Please let me know if anyone from your team would like to be involved in the subgroups. Thank you!

Security Strike Team (David Jardin)

CMS Release Team (Sigrid Gramlinger)

  • Internal documentation on building releases was updated/restructured by Harald and also integrated from Docs by Franciska. Thanks!

CMS Maintenance Team (Robert Deutz)

  • Joomla Translations: Crowdin is currently on J4.2, we cannot have two versions at the same time. Stefan needs support for planning and ideas, how and when to support 4.3 and later 5.
    One option: decision to change from 4.2 to 4.3 when 4.3 is in beta phase. We will discuss this in our next team meeting.
    But what shall we do with J5?
    => Niels, Harald and Stefan to find a solution for Joomla 5.
    => Sigrid will create a profile board on Mattermost for new supporters

Release Managers (Harald, Niels, Olivier, SD, Roland, Franciska, Tobias, Llewellyn)

Release Lead 4.3 (Olivier Buisard, Shirielle “SD” Williams):

  • Alpha 1 Release Today

Release Lead 4.2 (Roland Dalmulder, Franciska Perisa):

  • 4.2.6 RC is coming this weekend

Software Architecture & Strategy Team (Niels Braczek)

  • Crystal joined the team as a liaison from JXT. We see common objectives from different perspectives.
  • Talked about possible ways to make the RFC process more attractive resp. approachable.
  • Reached out for additional team members.
  • Motions end tomorrow

Other Business

  • How should we handle the further development of the Search component
    => Motions are being created to define the EOL and the kind of support we will provide
    => Olivier & Phil writing an Magazine article about migration to Smart Search
    => Needs documentation
    => Post-Installation Message for 4.3 about the decision & what it means for site admins