Programs Department Meeting - 3rd September 2019
Participants: Jaz Parkyn, Chris Keen, Vikas Pisal
- Jaz thanked everyone for their votes in the election, and is looking forward to serving another term.
- Options about holding a department sprint were discussed and will be reviewed within the coming weeks.
- Development on Shika and the question management and translation component is going well overall. The team is currently facing a showstopper bug and hopes overcome it shortly and continue with the testing of the component.
- Work has been continuing on the FAQ and Strategy documents.
- Connections are being established between various teams - Certifications, Social Media, Forum teams.
Educational Outreach (discussion took place outside of department meeting):
- Elisa Foltyn has been working with 17 students from the Aim Academy in Heilbronn, Germany - the students have reported that they’ve enjoyed working on their Joomla projects.
- Roland Dalmulder has again been invited as Joomla Expert to attend the Web Programming Week event at THM in Gießen Faculty MNI, Germany, run by Dennis Priefer and Wolf Rost of the University of Applied Sciences. Roland worked with 7 students to fix bugs and program new features. The two week long event started with two days of Pizza, Bugs & Fun to help get the students used to working with Joomla; suitable issues were selected by Roland and tasks were assigned based on their skill levels. Over the course of the event, students complete a project and on the final day present it to the group. The most notable project from previous years is the Pre-Upgrade checker in J3.10. This year’s primary focus has been on Joomla 4, with one team working on fixing the patch tester to work with the new infrastructure.