JED Team Meeting - June 30, 2017
Today the Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED) team met at 2 pm GMT via Glip to discuss our progress of current tasks.
In attendance: Jaz Parkyn, Anibal Sanchez, Aleksander Kuczek, Hugh Douglas-Smith and Luca Marzo.
Absent: Daniel Dubois, Darek Śnieg, Dénes Székely, Markus Bopp, Miron Savan, Martin Mueller, Paul Franklin and Sotiris Katsaniotis
JED Full-Text Search 2017 - Search improvements candidates
- We are considering Algolia or Elastic Search. No decision yet on the supporting technology.
- At JAB 2017, we discussed the alternatives. We decided that we are going to improve the search when we can increase our revenue to allocate the required resources. The JED team has not been assigned a budget for the time or subscription costs of implementing a search. However, as it is still needed, we will continue investigating the free tiers of Algolia and ES and then review our findings. In the long term, we are committed to implementing the search improvements as part of the future JED4 development.
J and Beyond 2017 - Kraków Poland
- In the JAB sprint, we implemented several SEO improvements on the site.
- JED Make it Happen, Saturday Afternoon. Several developers were added to the team and fixed several bugs, welcome:
- Benjamin Trenkle
- Florian Häusler
- Harald Leithner
- Noemi Sanchez del Rio
- Hugh's session:JAB17 - JED Reviews from the developers perspective
- Alek's session:JAB17 - Joomla Extension Directory vs. WordPress Plugin Directory
Developer Collaboration Process
Migration to Github: Efforts are continuing in this direction.
Google Summer of Code 2017: Enhancements to Extension Manager
Anibal has joined the team of mentors, and we are participating in the initial review of the project ideas. The project is progressing well; the first three features are almost completed, reports about the progress can be found here:
- 4th Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
- 3rd Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
- 2nd Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
- 1st Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
JED Homepage 2017 updates, jorg 2.2.0 and Joomla 3.7.2
- The new design must be applied to other areas of the site. (e.g. the search form located in the inner pages)
- Joomla 3.7.2 has been installed, and the new Joomla template (j.org 2.2.0) has been deployed. After the upgrade, several performance issues have been found on the site, and we have disabled custom fields as a temporary workaround.
- Google Analytics tracking on JED: GA Event tracking implementation will be reviewed. (Alek - Anibal)
Following the initial phase, we are working on thesecond phase:
- The new homepage has been successfully implemented. Though, more improvements are required.
- Recently Added, Top Rated, Most Viewed modules are coming, on incremental small/new changes.
- New scrolling widgets (similar to Google Play style).
The Review Checking Process
- The efforts to improve the process are ongoing. We expect further additions in the short term. In JDayUK 2017, we will continue implementing the review process enhancements.
VEL team organization
The VEL team has now moved under JED as a subteam with the aim of bringing the two teams more 'inline' with each other as our roles are closely linked. This was voted on by the board and has now been implemented.
JDay UK 2017
Alek, Jaz and Hugh are going to attend the event.
Jaz's session:Choosing the right Third Party Components- 16.15 - 17.00 / Room 3
The development of JED4
New JED will start progressing at the beginning of summer. The new JED build process will be formalised first, specifications to be reviewed with the team for comments, additions and amendments, to plan the general development.
Note: The reviews and scoring functionality will remain a closed subject and its code will not present to the JED Devs - only available to JED Team Members.