JED Team Meeting - July 28, 2017
Today the Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED) team met at 2 pm GMT via Glip to discuss our progress of current tasks.
In attendance: Jaz Parkyn, Anibal Sanchez, Darek Śnieg, Luca Marzo, Mark Lee and Miron Savan.
Absent: Aleksander Kuczek, Daniel Dubois, Dénes Székely, Hugh Douglas-Smith, Markus Bopp, Martin Mueller, Paul Franklin and Sotiris Katsaniotis
JED 4 - New System Specification
New JED will start progressing at the beginning of summer. The new JED build process will be formalised first, specifications to be reviewed with the team for comments, additions and amendments, to plan the general development.
The reviews and scoring functionality will remain a closed subject and its code will not present to the JED Devs - only available to JED Team Members.
- Jaz has started to plan and define the next version of JED. She's been continually working on the specifications doc for the new com_jed, and will soon present it to the team for feedback.
JED Homepage 2017 updates and Joomla 3.7.2
- After the update to Joomla 3.7.2, we suffered several outages and we solved them disabling a feature of a recently updated extension. It took several iterations to discovering the source of the performance problems.
- Images Cache Drive reached 100% several times. It has been increased and a cleaning task has been scheduled to be performed weekly.
Following the initial phase, we are working on thesecond phase:
- The new design must be applied to other areas of the site. (e.g. the search form located in the inner pages)
- Google Analytics tracking on JED: GA Event tracking implementation will be reviewed. (Alek - Anibal)
- The new homepage has been successfully implemented. Though, more improvements are required.
- Recently Added, Top Rated, Most Viewed modules are coming, on incremental small/new changes.
- New scrolling widgets (similar to Google Play style).
Google Summer of Code 2017: Enhancements to Extension Manager
Anibal has joined the team of mentors, and we are participating in the initial review of the project ideas. The project is progressing well; the first three features are almost completed, reports about the progress can be found here:
- 8th Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
- 7th Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
- 6th Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
- 4th Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
- 3rd Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
- 2nd Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
- 1st Meeting GSoC 17 - Expand Extensions Manager, by Nuno Lopes
The Review Checking Process
- The efforts to improve the process are ongoing. We expect further additions in the short term. In JDayUK 2017, we will continue implementing the review process enhancements.
JED Full-Text Search 2017 - Search improvements candidates
- We are considering Algolia or Elastic Search. No decision yet on the supporting technology.
Developer Collaboration Process
- Migration to Github: Efforts are continuing in this direction.