JED Team Meeting - August 25, 2017
Today the Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED) team met at 2 pm GMT via Glip to discuss our progress of current tasks.
In attendance: Jaz Parkyn, Anibal Sanchez, Aleksander Kuczek, Hugh Douglas-Smith, Luca Marzo, Mark Lee and Miron Savan.
Absent: Daniel Dubois, Darek Śnieg, Dénes Székely, Markus Bopp, Martin Mueller, Paul Franklin and Sotiris Katsaniotis
JED 4 - New System Specification
New JED will start progressing at the beginning of summer. The new JED build process will be formalised first, specifications to be reviewed with the team for comments, additions and amendments, to plan the general development.
The reviews and scoring functionality will remain a closed subject and its code will not present to the JED Devs - only available to JED Team Members.
Jaz has started to plan and define the next version of JED. She's been continually working on the specifications doc for the new com_jed, and will soon present it to the team for feedback. Specification doc for JED 4 is nearly done.
- JED Full-Text Search 2017. Search improvements candidates. We are considering Algolia or Elastic Search. No decision yet on the supporting technology.
JED Homepage 2017 updates
Following the initial phase, we are working on the second phase:
- The new design must be applied to other areas of the site. (e.g. the search form located in the inner pages)
- The new homepage has been successfully implemented. Though, more improvements are required.
- Recently Added, Top Rated, Most Viewed modules are coming, on incremental small/new changes.
- New scrolling widgets (similar to Google Play style).
Google Summer of Code 2017: Enhancements to Extension Manager
Anibal has joined the team of mentors. At this time, GSoC EEM is almost over and all the PRs 've been submitted to J4 Core. These are the final PRs:
[4.0] Show changelog - GSoC Expand Extensions Manager
[4.0] Download key manager - GSoC Expand Extensions Manager
[4.0] Fix database for Extensions - GSoC Expand Extensions Manager
[4.0] Edit UpdateSite - GSoC Expand Extensions Manager
[4.0] Checksum extensions - GSoC Expand Extensions Manager
The Extension Checksum has been backported to Joomla 3.8. Please, help us to test it:
[3.8] - light checksum for joomlaupdate
The Review Checking Process
- The efforts to improve the process are ongoing. We expect further additions in the short term. We are already working on an updated review (IP Detective) checker that Hugh is setting up.
Developer Collaboration Process
- Migration to Github: Efforts are continuing in this direction.
- New Wiki: we are documenting the support processes and canned answers in a new Wiki.