2nd meeting Joomla GSoC 2016
By Peter Martin on 2016-06-07 00:00 in GSoC 16 Improving the menu item workflow
Date: 7th Jun 2016
Time: 14:30 (UTC / GMT)
Meeting was attended by: Shubham Rajput, Gunjan Patel, Peter Martin, Puneet Kala
* Presentation and Review on work done last week
Shubham has analyzed the files of com_menu and com_content to understand the inner workings. He learned to code new fields in the list- and edit views of Articles (com_content) using Joomla’s JForms. He coded a new field Menu Title in the menu link tab.
Some of the problems that Shubham faced were:
- Understanding the difference between List Views and Edit View (Gunjan explained the difference)
- Understanding the workflow of View Form ("Learning Joomla!3 extension" book helped with that)
- His laptop crashed this weekend. So he prepared his workstation and installed Code Sniffer + setup Joomla Coding Standards again.
- He had some problems installing Joomla Coding Standards in PHPStorm. (Gunjan helped him).
* Timeline and tasks
For June 14th - learn about adding information into the database (to create new menu items)
* Open Questions
Peter advised Shubham to keep a log (with date/time) of all the problems he would run into, the solutions he found (+ hyperlinks to sources on Internet) and the solutions that worked for him. Such a log might give Shubham a better overview about what he has learned at the end of the project. And it could be used in case he would want to write a short story about his Joomla GSoC experiences afterwards.