JCM Team Meeting 12 March 2019
Date: Tuesday 12 March 2019
Time: UTC 20:00
Attendees: Nicky Veitch, Jacques Rentzke, Daniel Dubois, Randy Carey, Patrick Jackson, Aris Ntatsis
Apologies: Elisa Foltyn, Robert Fairhead
JCM Team Goals:
- Ensure technical infrastructure is appropriate for now and future
- Relaunch the JCM
- Increase the number of volunteers in the JCM team
- Increase the number of authors
- Increase the amount and quality of contributions JCM receives
- Increase readership
For more information see planning document: 2019 JCM Relaunch
- Welcome to new volunteers.
- Ongoing discussions around Goal 1, JCM platform upgrade plan: 2019 JCM Platform Upgrade
Goal 1: Ensure technical infrastructure is appropriate for now and future
Agreement that we will move ahead with reconfiguring the existing JCM website to remove K2 and use Joomla core.
NV/JR had a discussion prior to meeting to:
- Review/consolidate existing K2 user groups
- Review/consolidate existing K2 categories
- Review/consolidate existing K2 tags
- Certain categories/tags/user groups were originally configured in J1.5 and migrated up. ACL is not role-based. In some cases ACL/categories/tags were utilised for site management.
- Goal is to restructure site to implement role-based ACL, custom fields and tags, with a clear view of upcoming J4 Workflow functionality in mind.
- Tags were used for multiple purposes - to pick info for manual modules “in this issue” and “authors in this issue” module, but also under articles as # ie #GDPR, and language. Review.
- Agreed that we would continue with existing year/month category per issue.
- English only for now, look at language/multilingual post re-launch.
Other items of discussion:
- NV has received login details for new sandbox and new Github, will set up/arrange access for team members this week.
- Webmaster team has advised requirements around using official j.org template and latest version has been supplied.
- Currently we do not have a designer. Do not want this to hold up relaunch date, so for the time being we will utilise official j.org template and focus on reconfiguration and module/plugin development based on current layout, and look to “pretty it up” later if resources become available. Possible ideas - hold a “design competition” later in the year after relaunch, or combine visual re-design with J4 upgrade.
- Need to revisit meeting time in view of several changes to/from summer time. Some locations have changed this week, some will change in the next 2 weeks. NV to send out new Doodle in coming week to work out best new regular time.
- Project end date - to be determined once project plan is set up and tasks scoped/assigned. This will determine JCM relaunch date.
Agreed to weekly meetings for duration of platform upgrade project - next meeting Tuesday 19 March 2019 UTC 20:00 via Hangouts.
Meeting ends after 45 minutes.