By Patrick Jackson on 2021-02-28 02:55 in Joomla! Volunteer Engagement Team

Volunteer Engagement Team Meeting Minutes

February 22, 2021 12:00 UTC

Scheduled length of time: 1 hour
Participants: Patrick Jackson,  Chris Keen, Shirielle Williams, Hugh Douglas-Smith, Niels Braczek, Jaz Parkyn, Laura Gordon
Apologies: Davide Messia, Benjamin Trenkle, Philip Walton, Mark Bender, Llewellyn van der Merwe, Luca Marzo

Standing Items

Previous minutes and report were published.

Items arising:

  • VET are reviewing and updating the VET Vision, Mission and Goals document during the coming month and final version will be considered for adoption in March.
  • Concurrently, a VET Team Member Onboarding Document is being constructed that details operational expectations for team members and contributors.
  • The alternating meeting times for VET team meetings may be reviewed sooner than expected as 12:00UTC was inconvenient for Europe in that it fell in the middle of the work day, and West Coast USA as it was 4am there.

Volunteer Engagement Team

  • Nominations are invited for the role of Assistant Team Leader

  • Discussion on the Joomla NDA

    • VET Membership will not compulsorily require NDA to be signed as part of the team membership, but where NDA applies to information accessed as part of the various projects being undertaken, project team members may need to be checked as to their NDA status.

    • Hugh Douglas-Smith indicated that there’s information being collated to clarify when and where the NDA applies. Further discussion will be had in the VET Team Channel on Glip.

Help Wanted Project

  • A wireframe design for an interim start page to replace the current contribute page is being converted into a ready to go article to go on the Joomla website.

  • Further discussion and programming will be taking place to then further work to streamline the recruitment process via

  • Cross over identified with Onboarding Project and Community Openings project, and so Help Wanted will work towards a conclusion and hand off of ongoing tasks, estimated by mid year.

Onboarding Project

  • Project team formally met on February 5 for the first time.

    • Discussion worked through converting existing documents into concepts to address, outlining an onboarding workflow process and mapping out items to be implemented and documented.

    • Next meeting will be in early March with ongoing tasks being discussed in project channel on Glip.

  • Onboarding will follow the following workflow of tasks to better onboard volunteers

    • Process expression of interest - through various programs, VET will work with groups of stakeholders to promote and source volunteers for the project

    • Volunteer Enquiry process - New volunteers will be onboarded by being funnelled to a new Volunteer Enquiry form where interactions and communications can be better tracked. This is more to avoid enquiries being orphaned rather than VET overseeing the process.

    • Needs Analysis - as part of the volunteer recruitment process, enquiries coming in through the central form will see VET team members perform an onboarding interview with the new volunteer so as to best identify and match their skill set and volunteer availability to available roles in the organisation.

    • Onboarding activities - once roles have been identified, relevant onboarding activities will be provided to the volunteer to complete the process.

  • Additional Project Tasks

    • Recruitment resources

    • General documents explaining casual contributions, team contributors, team members etc

    • Team specific documents detailing team specific tasks

    • Leadership onboarding documents 

    • To assist the workflows above, paths mapping what needs to be done for various onboarding scenarios need to be created

    • Mappings need to have different engagement levels to focus on different levels of volunteer: Micro/Casual, Informal, Contributor, Member

    • Onboarding documents need to be created. Examples include:

    • Destination Mapping

Community Openings

  • February article focussed on Joomla 4 engagement. 

  • March article - proposed focussing on volunteer involvement statistics.

  • April article - Highlight 3 positions with various specialisations.

Other Teams & Department Items

  • Other VET Project teams had not met in February or were absent from the meeting.

  • Questions raised for departments on interrelated projects were discussed, but all items were still in progress and will be further discussed at the next meeting. 


Next Meeting will be March 22 2021 at 20:00UTC
Meeting adjourned at 12:58UTC