Volunteers Engagement - Peakon kick-off meeting and sprint - August 2017
Dates: 10th to 12th August 2017
Attendees: Rowan Hoskyns Abrahall, Yves Hoppe
Involved Remotely: Sander Potjer, Sandra Decoux, Luca Marzo
Thursday 10th August
Meeting with Peakon
- We had a 3 hour kick-off meeting in the offices of Peakon in London.
- We went through the initial questions, looked at the most important drivers and got a great explanation on how their system works and how we can get the most out of it.
Discussion on implementation
- Our organisation is quite unique and we needed to come up with some slightly out of the box solutions in order to come up with the best structure for data import from the JVP into Peakon. An example of this is we have people in multiple teams across departments.
- We worked through the options and found and agreed on the best methods to use for the import.
Friday 11th August
- Rowan worked on the initial setup of Peakon including the addition of custom fields to allow for detailed pivoting and segmentation of volunteers to department and top level team. This will allow future surveys to pinpoint volunteers easily.
JVP Import Script
- Yves wrote an export script for importing users from our volunteers portal.
- As these two database structures are quite different and complex, this resulted in a slightly more involved script that we initially expected.
- The script can also be used to gain data for other uses such as infographics for marketing etc.
- We updated it to include provision for services such as Peakon. We also updated other sections which were out of date.
Saturday 12th August
Changes to the Volunteers Portal
- Yves made some pull requests to add an opt out mechanism for Peakon in the volunteers portal.
- Yves also wrote a simple email form for use by the Secretary to email all Volunteer Portal users when needed.
Notification of Peakon to active volunteers
- The deadline for opt out before the first survey is the 25th of August.
- We hope that the majority of the active community stay opted in so that we can get the most out of this tool.
Review of the Questions
- We then set our minds to the questions in Peakon, altering them to more suit our culture, whilst keeping them within the same themes and drivers. We also added some new questions that we felt were missing.
- We have decided to take a “top down” approach with Peakon with the first surveys speaking from a general project wide standpoint to get an overall “pulse” on the health of the project.
- Once we have this baseline, Department Coordinators will be able to add focused questions to the surveys sent to their people in order to gather more specific information.
- Answers are 100% anonymous, even the highest level admin and Peakon themselves cannot tie a response set to a user in the system.
- Feedback can be made by admins on comments and conversations can be had around them. In these cases, the submitter knows who they are talking to but the admin does not. Everything stays anonymous unless the submitter reveals their identity to the admin.
Data Import & Test survey
- We did a dry run of the data import with a sample of volunteers who agreed to help test the system.
- We sent this sample a survey containing all the questions available in the system so that we could get the fullest feedback possible.
- When we launch the survey we will be sending a much smaller question set per survey to ensure that they are quick and easy to complete with a view to gaining maximum engagement.
- We will be working with the sample volunteers and other key stakeholders in the run up to the first survey to further hone the question wording and to decide on the order of questions sent.
- We will be working with the JVP on further improvements to the system to help us with Volunteer Engagement.
- We aim to send the first survey out on the 26th August.