Webmasters Team Report - June, 2020
The webmasters team mainly consists of leaders and liaisons from other teams, with the purpose to effectively work together on all aspects of our properties and infrastructure.
The team meets as needed, because managing the properties is a daily task and communication is done through Glip, Mails and ADoodle.
Our reports will include general information, actions performed and motions taken over a period of time.
The reports will not be about just one meeting which is planned every month like most teams.
- The budgets for the new fiscal year are defined and discussed within the board.
The Webmasters provided the required information to the Department Coordinator.
- The GSuite domains for Extensions & Resources are being migrated to the official GSuite community.joomla.org this is needed to Centralize more things and make sure volunteers do not have multiple accounts, need to switch between them and other reasons.
- All Joomla Sites are audited as required by board motion, there were no Privacy or Security related issues found which required a direct fix. Other small improvements were defined and processed where possible.
- Jaz and Wilco are working on a new Resources Listing structure fully integrated within the Community.joomla.org website, mostly based on Core.
- RolandD provided us with a free license for RO CSVI which makes data migration between Joomla sites easier and helps us decrease the amount of separate properties.
- The VEL website and subdomain are being merged into the JED website by Jaz and Wilco to provide a central place for all extension related resources
Improvements / tasks / actions:
- The costs for Pingdom uptime monitoring were decreased with 80%, with the support of the supplier. We were running a subscription which was more than we needed.
- The "The Joomla User Configuration" Policy motion was conducted and passed, all websites will be configured based on this, to make them all equal on settings like Password Length, Registration mails and others.
- Acymailing was upgraded from version 5 to 6 on the Community.joomla.org website, which consisted of new installed version and data migration and brings us new Newsletter template features. Marketing is working on new General Newsletters templates.
- A partnership with hCaptcha to replace the Google reCaptcha features in our properties is being organized by Wilco & Luca, the agreement is in its final signature stage. Some of the properties have been configured and a great decrease of false registrations, form input and other parts which need captcha have been seen.
A big thanks to Peter Martin, without his effort to create a Joomla hCaptcha plugin we wouldn't be able to implement it.
He is also working with Production to make it available by default in Joomla 4.x
- A partnership with Elastic Email to be used as global mail services Transactional and Marketing (Newsletters) is being organized by Wilco & Luca, the agreement is in its final signature stage.
This service has been running on a few properties the last week to monitor, configure and test all configurations and to make sure we are able to replace the current mail sending structure via Google, which has small limits on the amount of emails allowed per day.
Motions taken in Webmasters Team:
#2020/003 - Joomla User Configuration Policy.
14 Voters - Yes, 8 votes / No, 0 votes / Abstain, 2 votes / Inattentive, 4 persons..
Reports published by Webmaster team members:
- Forum Team
- Showcase Directory Team
- Community Magazine Team