JED Team Meeting - December 1st, 2017
Today the Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED) team met at 2 pm GMT via Glip to discuss our progress of current tasks.
In attendance: Jaz Parkyn, Anibal Sanchez, Aleksander Kuczek and Luca Marzo.
Absent: Daniel Dubois, Darek Śnieg, Dénes Székely, Hugh Douglas-Smith, Markus Bopp, Mark Lee, Martin Mueller, Miron Savan, Paul Franklin, Sotiris Katsaniotis and Troy Hall.
JED 4 - New System Specification
JED 4 Specification: At JWC Rome, the first specification document for JED 4 was reviewed in a sprint to plan and define the next version of JED. More efforts are necessary to define the 2018 plan. At this time, we are evaluating the available resources and possible technologies for the future implementation. The JED4 will be developed by volunteers in a series of sprints. The reviews and scoring functionality will remain a closed subject and its code will not present to the JED Devs - only available to JED Team Members.
- JED Full-Text Search. Search improvements candidates. We are considering Algolia or Elastic Search. No decision yet on the supporting technology. We are exploring possible partnerships.
JED Homepage updates
Following the initial phase, we are working on the second phase:
- JED is updated to the latest improvements, Joomla 3.8.2 and Jorg template 2.3.0. An unexpected network reorganization was fixed in the publishing process.
- The new design must be applied to other areas of the site. (e.g. the search form located in the inner pages)
- The new homepage has been successfully implemented. Though, more improvements are required.
- Recently Added, Top Rated, Most Viewed modules are coming, on incremental small/new changes.
- New scrolling widgets (similar to Google Play style).
The Review Checking Process
- The efforts to improve the process are ongoing. We expect further additions in the short term. We are already working on an updated review (IP Detective) checker that Hugh is setting up.
- Hugh has been working on migrating the IP Detective for the reviews over to our server. The work is nearing completion now, just a few bugs to fix. When done, we also have some new rules to put on the checker.
Developer Collaboration Process
- Migration to Github: Efforts are continuing in this direction.
- New Wiki: we are documenting the support processes and canned answers in a new Wiki.