By Jon Neubauer on 2015-10-01 00:00 in Transition Team

Time: 1500 EST 30 September 2015

Participants: Jon Neubauer, Ryan Ozimek, Sarah Watz, Ronni K. Gothard Christiansen, George Wilson, Sander Potjer, TJ Baker, Ian MacMillan, Ken Crowder, Guillermo Bravo, Marijke Stuivenberg, Helvecio da Silva, Peter Bui

Meeting Minutes

Roll call taken.

Ryan offers to lead the meeting.

Jon offers to take notes.

Summary of Structure Proposal

Ronni summarizes the role of the transition team

    implement the new approved structure in a non-political way

 

Question (Ian): what problem(s) is the new structure trying to solve?

Response (Sarah): current structure was intended to only be a short term solution. The community faces obstacles of siloed leadership teams, making it hard to make effective decisions. New structure also introduces more transparency in how we work, empowering teams and make it it easier for new contributors to join. New structure also makes better use of precious volunteer time.

   

Question (Ken): what is the timeline for implementing this structure?

Response (Ronni): originally suggested implementation in two months. Realistically will be three months.

   

Question (Ken): do OSM bylaws need changed before the transition is complete, or after?

Response (Ronni): changes need finalized before the new board is elected.

   

Question (Ken): how does OSM’s terms ending affect the bylaws?

Response (Ronni): the board’s terms end in 8 days. There will be three remaining officers of the board (Sarah as President, Marijke as Secretary, Victor as Treasurer).

   

Question (Ian): who does the transition team report to?

Response (Ronni, Sarah): the transition team is self governing for the most part. PLT and CLT liaisons are included in the membership of the team to facilitate communication with the leadership teams. The team will report to the new board as the team’s role ends, after elections.

 

Ian volunteers to facilitate and write up a project initiation document to confirm the transitions team's understanding of the aims and objectives of their work, it's scope, an overview of how they plan to complete this work, how the team will be organised and managed, and most importantly, how they will report progress and communicate with the community and other key stakeholders to be published on the Volunteers Portal.

 

Question (George): does this team need permission from leadership teams on anything?

Response (Ronni): only on items that were left incomplete in the structure document. PLT + CLT + OSM officers will vote on the team's’ recommended implementations of those items.

Transition Team Questions

Sander reports that the transition team is created on the volunteers portal.

 

Question (Jon): A transition team member (Stefania) has resigned her role on the team, how do we proceed? Is a replacement needed?

Response (Ronni): there is no requirement to replace a team member, it is up to the transition team to replace or not, and how to select a replacement.

Response (Marijke): adding the next highest voted person from the leadership vote on members is invalid. If 7 people were to be selected, LT members may have voted differently. Simply selecting the next highest voted person isn’t correct. Transition team may decide how to replace a team member, but the priority is for the transition team to begin work as soon as possible.

Response (Sander): caution that one less team member leaves 8 team members, a potential tie in any team votes.

 

Transition Team agrees to continue without delay with 8 team members, not adding a new member.

 

Question (Jon): are any Structure Team members willing to be available to answer any technical or detailed questions the Transition Team might have?

Response (Ronni): definitely will be available. Suggests creating a shared Google document where the transition team can ask questions, and the structure team can respond.

Team Communication

The team will continue using Glip as a central communication hub for internal daily collaboration.

Ian notes that it is important to have clear communication not only within our team, but to the community and even external interested parties.

Jon suggests that we create the transition@joomla.org email address to receive communication and feedback from any interested parties.

Meeting notes will be taken for each meeting, presented to the team for corrections, and published on the volunteers portal in a timely manner - no more than 24 hours after the meeting.

Ryan suggests a public mailing list be used for any decisions that need made

Weekly voice meetings will take place via GoToMeeting and will be recorded.

 

Question (Ken): is it the job of the transition team to set up and populate the advisory board?

Response (Ronni): the transition team sets up the advisory board structure, the new leadership will select advisory board members.

Wrap Up

Jon lists action items

  • Sander will set up the transition@joomla.org email address (Peter Bui assists)

  • Jon will make a public mailing list for the team (update: list has been created. Is available here)

  • Ian will create a project initiation  document for our team

  • Jon & Elvis will combine meeting notes and publish on the volunteers portal

  • Ian will create a Doodle to set our next meeting

  • Elvis will create an agenda for our next meeting

 

Ryan closes the meeting.

meeting duration: 1 hour 47 minutes.