JED Team Meeting - January 31st, 2020
The Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED) team met on January 10th, 2020, at 4 pm GMT, via Glip to discuss our progress of current tasks.
In attendance: Anibal Sanchez, Daniel Dubois, Jaz Parkyn, Carlos Cámara, Dénes Székely, Hugh Douglas-Smith, Luca Marzo, and Mark Lee.
Absent: Tony Partridge and Troy Hall.
- JED Team Leader 2020 Election took place and Anibal Sanchez has been re-elected as JED Team Leader.
- We are processing the queue of new extensions and pending tickets within the seven days processing window. With the addition of new members, we are improving the processing times.
- We have delayed tickets on the Review Reports queue. We are taking action to solve the delay.
Plans for 2020
- New Ticketing System: the implementation is complete. Now, we are entering on a second phase to extend the functionality of the original package. Internally, we are developing a VueJS App to add "actions" to the ticketing system. #137
- JED Checker CI Online. This is project scope: https://github.com/joomla/jed-issues/wiki/Extensions-Checker. At the FFTF, Andy Gaskell and Llewellyn van der Merwe joined the JED Dev Team to support the effort. #67 and #133
- JED Design 2020 Updates: General review of the site design for mobile and desktop. Renewal of JED general visual technology and design. #139
JED 4 Project
- JED4 development has been continuing. To contribute to the project: https://extensions.joomla.org/support/knowledgebase/item/contributing-code-to-the-jed/
- The board approved the proposal to make the new JED 4 codebase and project information available publicly.
- The Review Detective and Review Scores will be kept private within the JED team.
- This is the JED 4 Project Scope Summary. To simplify the project coordination, we have the JED - Developer Chat room in Glip for developers to work on JED4. Please, join the JED Dev Chat on Glip to discuss the scope and access the rest of the materials we are working on.
- The JED 4 development repository has been published: https://github.com/joomla/com_jed4. Please, check the list of issues and collaborate with the development.
Proposed JED Guidelines for Joomla 4
- New extensions guidelines for J4 and JED Checker CI for Joomla 4. #67
- Minimum technical requirements: We have been discussing the steps to manage extensions for Joomla 3 and Joomla 4 after Joomla 4 is released, to keep compatibility with minimum technical requirements for Joomla 3 and encourage the usage of PHP latest stable version and security practices.
- Override Everything: All assets should go through HTML helper or web assets. In this way, the assets are overridable, and scripts can be put in the footer and still work. Restrict handwritten script tags in the output (This needs to go through addScriptDeclaration). Include assets ONLY in the layouts, not in the main logic.
- Joomla 4 Beta is planned to be released this year. We are updating our plans accordingly. In February, we expect confirmation about the next steps.
- An issue on the extensions scoring has been reported. We are looking for a developer to evaluate the current algorithm and fix the issue. For more information #84
Spam Checks for Reviews
The current system to process Spam Review needs to be revamped. The current implementation has several shortcomings that must be addressed.
In the short term, to clarify the validation output, we are improving the messages shown to the user. Spam Checkup can fail due to the following points:
In the medium term, we are planning to redefine the system and implement a new checkup in the context of the JED4 project. We are updating the progress in the implementation here #65.
More Ideas - Nice To Have
- Templates on JED: At this time, the topic of publishing Templates on JED has come up again. The aim of the current JED Team is supporting all types of Joomla extensions on the directory. Since the previous effort to create a Template Directory for Joomla (JTD) is inactive (OSM, Inc. - Full Board Meeting - October 18, 2018), and the time of new ideas around Joomla 4 campaign has arrived, we are going to prepare a proposal for the board. Technically speaking, JED already has everything to add a new category for templates (in fact, we process and check template submissions today, and reject them due to not being allowed). We are also going to gather information from the previous JTD experience and checking the idea with other community members. At this time, the licensing of Templates on JED would follow a GPL / Creative Commons license model. At FFTF, people requested several times to add templates on JED, and we accept that it is a frequent request. At this time, our priority is focusing all efforts of J4 and JED4 launch. #138