Update Working Group report - December 7th, 2014
The team started in August of 2014, and falls under the Production Leadership Team (PLT).
Available at: https://docs.joomla.org/Update_Working_Group
Team communication and meetings
The Update Working Group (UWG) has an open chatroom, #update-working-group on joomla.slack.com, and we’ve had three scheduled meetings in our chatroom:
- 6 Sept 2014
- 27 Sept 2014
- 18 Oct 2014
There’s also been ongoing discussion in the chatroom on various topic related to our group’s goals. We focussed on those items that could be done quickly with what we have to work with now, with the main focus being on Documentation. Goal being to have specific things done before 2.5 EOL or sooner.
We are working together with a group from the Marketing team for the extra visuals and marketing posts.
What we’ve done
- Raise awareness of the fact that the Joomla! 2.5 series reaches End of Life (EOL) by the end of December 2014, and encourage people to upgrade to Joomla 3.x through:
- Update to 2.5 that will show a notice, and info in Extensions listing
- Article in December Joomla! Community Magazine: Why Migrate? And then how?
- Post to Joomla! CMS Development list and to the Developer site to get Extension Developers involved: Joomla Extension Developers, what resources do you need for the final release of 2.5
- Provide resources to help with the upgrade
- Re-organize and update help pages on wiki that relates to updates, upgrades, and migrations.
- New content on the wiki:
- Translations of documentation is currently underway.
- Announcements on Joomla.org
- Reaching out to JUGs and JDays
- Video guide (in production)
- Further Marketing/Informational materials
- Further updates to wiki pages
- Update Download page information on joomla.org
- Special JCM edition in Jan/Feb (under consideration)
- Translating the Update help guides into more languages
Plan to do
- Enhance Update/Upgrade portal on JDOCs
- Update information on joomla.org web sites.
- Joomla 1.0, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 migration guides.
- Migration XML Standards (under consideration)