By Luca Marzo on 2019-05-17 20:07 in Production

Date: May 07, 2019
Time: 17:00 UTC
Total time of meeting: 60 minutes

Attendees:

Harald Leithner (Department Coordinator), Luca Marzo (Assistant to DC), David Jardin (Team Leader), Nicola Galgano (Team Leader), Ilagnayeru Manickam (Team Leader), Marco Dings (Team Leader), Benjamin Trenkle (Team Leader), Puneet Kala (Team Leader), Stefan Wajda (Team Leader), Philip Walton (Team Leader), Sandra Decoux (Team Leader), George Wilson (J4 Release Lead).

Apologies:

Robert Deutz (Team Leader).

Discussion outline

Report from the Department Coordinator

  • Harald shared a report from the code sprint in Germany held last weekend. Lot of work done by 22 volunteers. Good progress on Workflow and Backend Template.

  • Members discussed the removal of French help site as proposed in https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/22133

  • Members discussed about the opportunity to force all newly merged PRs in Joomla 4 to use prepared statements. Priority is to update the documentation for developers. Maintainers to help migrating to prepared statements.

  • Harald proposed to have better statistics about Joomla adoption. Further discussions and checks need to be conducted.

  • Harald proposed to rearrange some team and subteams in Production Department. Given that the decision involves teams with voting rights, motions will be proposed to the Board of Directors accordingly.

  • Luca shared the initiative from Drupal to extend the support of old versions of the CMS through third party vendors. Members to explore this opportunity.

Joomla 4

  • George requested the Production Department to approve the requirements for Joomla 4, sharing data about current adoption (last 180 days data).

  • Proposed minimum requirements for Joomla 4 will be: PHP 7.2, MySQL 5.5 or PostgreSQL 11.0. Members will further discuss this topic in order to come up with a final decision.

Meeting is adjourned to May 14, 2019 at 17.00 UTC

Date: May 14, 2019
Time: 17:00 UTC
Total time of meeting: 90 minutes

Attendees:

Harald Leithner (Department Coordinator), Luca Marzo (Assistant to DC), David Jardin (Team Leader), Nicola Galgano (Team Leader), Marco Dings (Team Leader), Benjamin Trenkle (Team Leader), Sandra Decoux (Team Leader), Robert Deutz (Team Leader.

Apologies:

Ilagnayeru Manickam (Team Leader), Puneet Kala (Team Leader), Stefan Wajda (Team Leader), Philip Walton (Team Leader), George Wilson (J4 Release Lead).

Discussion outline

Automated Testing Team

  • David updated Drone on the code sprint to 1.1

Bug Squad Team

CMS Release Team

  • We have continued the document to help with testing from the last meeting.

  • Have started using imacro as a way to speed some testing on larger sites.

Core Translation Team

  • Prepared for Joomla 3.9.6 language packs release.

  • Language Packs functional (publishing, accessing, and installing) requirements for replacing joomlacode.org:

    • The document was prepared by JM and subsequently reviewed by the Translations coordination team

    • Provided the requirements list to George

Documentation Team

  • Sandra Decoux has been elected as Team Leader of the Documentation Team after resignation of Tom Hutchinson. The Production Department would like to thank Tom for his long term service.

  • Tom Hutchinson will serve as Assistant Team Lead.

  • Google only accepted 25% of projects that applied for Google Summer of Docs. Unfortunately, we were not one of the 50 they approved.

  • JDocs release pages updated to 3.9.6 release.

  • Yehia Tarek is working on a tutorial series about the new publishing workflow.

  • Jennifer Gress will create the step by step 3.10 to 4.0 migration tutorial.

Google Summer of Code Team

  • Google Summer of Code started.

  • All teams will plan meetings and start initial discussion with students, will use community bonding period for project planning and finalizing timelines

  • List of projects we have in GSoC 2019

    • Webservices for Joomla 4 led by George Wilson

    • Page Builder led by Benjamin Trenkle

    • Feature Enhancement Project led by Harald Leithner

  • Changes to Volunteers Portal will be made in next 7-10 days, adding new teams, adding students and mentors.

Accessibility Team

  • The problems reported and the PR were reviewed. The list of unresolved issues was updated.

  • About 20 tests of proposed solutions to issues were carried out.

  • Some comments were made on the design of the new Backend template.

  • A discussion was held with a representative of Funka organization on Joomla's assessment of usefulness for the government and self-government administration.

Security Strike Team

  • Drone Setup has been hardened.

  • Security Release 3.9.6 included one minor XSS fix. Coordinated release for a TYPO3 dependency issue has been made with TYPO3 and Drupal.

  • Proposal: Enforce 2FA in our Github organization. Members, billing managers, and outside collaborators who do not have two-factor authentication enabled for their personal account will be removed from the organization and will receive an email notifying them about the change.

Workflow Project Team

  • Finished the new concept as a workflow/state machine hybrid with the first commits, working on it.

Software Architecture & Strategy Working Group

  • Recruiting is slow. Marco got in touch with some extensions developers and Universities. Any contribution is welcome.

  • Any major decisions regarding the codebase will be decided by a vote from the Production Department.

  • Marco suggested to improve cohesion and collaboration between the Teams in Production Department.

  • Participants discussed the toxicity in the Issue Tracker that prevents people to contribute to the project.

  • Marco reported from the Meeting about MySQL requirements held on May 13, 2019.

  • Motion about MySQL requirements for Joomla 4 will be sent via email.

Backend Template Working Group

  • Had a sprint with a lot of bug fixes. Most “features” are implemented and we’re doing on smoothing out everything.

Joomla 4

  • Participants discussed about the Browser support for Joomla 4. Migration of Edge to Chromium should decrease the adoption of IE11.

  • A proposal will be submitted based on last weekend’s parameters sprint, exact form to be determined. Short summary:

    • a minimal number of parameters are marked for deletion and can be replaced by custom fields

    • view of parameters to be governed by 4 levels “basic, advanced, expert, none”. This would tremendously de-clutter the backend views in general and maintain backward compatibility.
      Parameters at global options would have an additional “level” of the above associate to integrators could make parameters available, or altogether hide them if their overrides do not include them

    • Make better use of repeatable fields, for example with the images in articles we can have on repeatable field that designates “intro, full, both”, with a max of 2 entries

    • Have intelligent show-ons for parameters. If a title is “hidden” there is no need to have the question on “linking” it.

Motions

PROD2019/001 - Involve Release Leaders in the leadership of the Production Department.
Proposed by Harald Leithner - Motion passed unanimously.

PROD2019/002 - Remove the helpurl for French help in J3.
Proposed by Harald Leithner - Motion passed unanimously with 1 abstention.

PROD2019/003 - Force all newly merged PRs in Joomla 4 to use prepared statements.
Proposed by Harald Leithner - Motion passed unanimously.